Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3894 Post(s)
Liked 1,943 Times in 1,388 Posts
Originally Posted by CyclingBK
Yes, I’ve heard the same, that calcium supplements don’t “take” as far as bone loss.

And if the calcium loss is dermal, if that’s the right word, I hope it can be replenished via supplements, that’s a very interesting study.

Riding for hours a day seems to place the body in an imbalance as far as maintaining bone density. It would seem that one would either need to cycle less and/or be sure to pair their fitness routine with a good balance of strength training plus add calcium supplements.

I found this...
“They also may have been sweating out more calcium than they were taking in, leaving their bones even more vulnerable. The researchers noted that losing large amounts of calcium during exercise can trigger hormonal activity associated with bone loss. Though they didn’t ask about calcium timing, some research suggests that eating a calcium-rich meal 90 minutes before intensive exercise can help lessen that bone-depleting hormonal activity.

Finally, it bears mentioning that this study was conducted in Norway, a country that has one of the highest rates of osteoporosis and bone fracture rates in the world, possibly due to insufficient sun exposure, which helps the body create bone-building vitamin D.

Bottom line: To keep your bones strong, pay as much attention to your strength-training routine—yes, that means making the time to fit it into your routine year-round—as you do your riding. Check out these 10 essential strength moves for cyclists, and how you can implement them into your program.“

https://www.bicycling.com/health-nut...ngth-training/
What study conducted in Norway? I didn't post a Norwegian study.

From the NCBI study I posted:
One potential mechanism is increased bone resorption due to an exercise-induced increase in parathyroid hormone (PTH), possibly triggered by dermal calcium loss. The purpose of this investigation was to determine whether calcium supplementation either before or during exercise attenuates exercise-induced increases in PTH and C-terminal telopeptide of type I collagen (CTX; a marker of bone resorption).
The study result was that they found that it did.