Old 09-02-15, 10:08 PM
Radish_legs

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 33 Posts
I'm not expecting to win anything. It's just a lot of hurdles to go from someone who just rides to someone who races. I need to buy a racing license or something. I need to show up and get a number pinned and sign up and pay. It's just easier not to do it. I'm old, I'm fat, I'm modestly fit at best. I don't want to break any bones. No I'm not used to being in a pack of super aggressive riders. Why? Because I have never raced. I have actually done a drill (track) where we ride leaning on each other's shoulders. But am I going to grab a wheel by aggressively going shoulder to shoulder as a turn approaches? The guy on my team I talked to, he's been out much of the summer because of a broken collarbone. Another guy on the team I talked to who had started racing last year gave up this year after breaking bones in his face and having a shoulder reconstruction.

So yeah, it's a MENTAL jump to take this leap. From what I can tell most guys never do it, or if they do try it, then soon quit. I was talking the other night to a successful racer in this scene (Cat 2). He says many people race just 1 season, get discouraged, and never do it again. Addictive for some? Yes. Disappointing and unfulfilling to many? Yes.

I would like to race on a team, make my contribution. I would like to have worked hard enough to be fit enough to do it, after being on a bike for 14 months. But I do apologize if I'm acting like a big crybaby by not just immediately jumping into the mix. I apologize for being deliberate. For checking out the scene, seeing who's riding, what their fitness is like, comparing myself to others on common group rides. I guess I am a "stalker". Sorry.