Old 05-23-18, 11:37 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by BrazAd
Thanks for the input so far. My wife has delegated me with picking her bike as she knows next to nothing about them. She's been riding a 5 speed cruiser for the past couple of years - the tank probably weighs 30 lbs, easily. So in her words, "Whatever you get is going to be good."

I'm leaning to the Trek Madone WSD as it's the same money, components are much better, it's a "woman specific design", the seller has measured everything that I've asked and it fits my wife.

Just found out that the seller will include a set of Stans NoTube ZTR Alpha 340 wheels for $100. Not sure my wife would know the difference - but they might be good for my bike as an upgrade over the Fulcrum Racing 5 wheels I'm using now. :-)

Gary
Originally Posted by leob1
RUN, do not walk to your local bike shop WITH YOUR WIFE! Make her go with you. Make her look at all the bikes. Look at ALL the styles, sizes, regular and women specific designs. Make her test ride. If she has a bike she choose, that she likes, that fits her best, then there is a much better chance that she will ride it more than once or twice.
If you want to try the Madone, take her with you to test ride before you buy it.
Trust me, she will not want to ride an uncomfortable bike that you chose.
Originally Posted by Ogsarg
Let your wife buy the bike. Don't make her do anything. Offer support and answer questions as best you can but let her choose what she wants. If she isn't interested enough to decide on what she wants, it's not likely she will stick with it for any length of time.
Just because a cf racing bike sounds good to you doesn't mean you wife will like it, especially if she is used to riding a cruiser. True story. Last year, a friend of a friend told folks she was looking to buy a bike to ride with her husband and daughter. Family rides on the local MUP, at slow speed. So her husband offers to buy her whatever she wants. So this woman asks her friend who is a competitive triathlete, who tells her she needs a cf bike. Some Trek cf model on sale for about $3k. Bad choice. I hear from my friend she is afraid to ride it because she is afraid to ride it. It was too much bike. Just the thing for for the experience road rider, or aspiring triathlete. Not the thing for the person looking for slow speed recreational rides.

Last edited by MRT2; 05-23-18 at 12:28 PM.