View Single Post
Old 02-19-19, 08:22 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by GeorgeMD
So not to be a downer, I searched and noone mentioned that the steerer tube collar of the Carbon models with FutureShock were recalled (easy replacement repair at dealer).
Check with your dealer! (Edit:as a new user i cant post a link, trust me its real)

So what model did you end up getting? I started at the Comp X, was all set, then started researching more brands and thought I would go with Trek FX4 (22lbs), I looked at some more bikes, took a look here again and I dont know, something about this bike style wise gets me.

For me, my current setup came with 700x 38mm tires, and a simple fact is the Trek's come with 32mm tires and max out at 35 (not even sure you can go bigger on carbons from them).
Also if I want a 1x10 drivetrain and carbon with Trek, I need to get the FX6 @ 2300$ which brings me back to the value, against Trek Specialized does beat them in price by at least 100$ or more, maybe Im wrong
Headed to the dealer today.
I am lucky, they have a built X, as well as another carbon, both in Medium, so I got to wait a month.

Are these bikes ridiculously delicate? I know how to be super careful, and I dont even roll my 350$ bike off of curbs.
This bike will be used for exercise in a hilly suburban area, and the streets of Baltimore city (some potholes, lots of sidewalks where the traffic can be deadly) thanks!!!.......
The collar recall is a non-issue, imo. Certainly hasn't led me to cancel my order (Sirrus X Comp). My LBS is busy replacing the old collar on customers' existing FS bikes, and tells me that all FS bikes shipped since the first week or so of January have the new collar factory installed.

Delicate? No; no reason to suppose so. Carbon composite is a mature technology at this point for bicycle frame construction, alongside aluminum, steel, titanium. If you buy a Sirrus X Comp it will not asplode underneath you if you jump a curb or bunny-hop a storm grate.