mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
UCLA RR - DNF

Lined up at 7 am, it was 21 degrees right before the gun and that's easily the coldest I've ridden. It was a very easy pace going up the first hill and 5 minutes in I got an asthma attack, eventually getting detached. At the crest I decided to turn around; with roughly 20 minutes into the race and the condition worsening there was a fair chance of an ambulance ride (I've taken the ambulance 3x for asthma, once during a ride) and it was better for everyone not putting myself in that position. My hands were tingling and I felt lightheaded. The next phase was seeing stars, and then you pass out. Devil's Punchbowl isn't a course you can leisurely ride (1500ft each 12m loop). I was calm when I made the decision, but nearly in tears getting in the car. I've still been training my ass off and for your body just to quit like that feels awful.

I haven't had an bad asthma attack during a ride in over a year, my only guess is my lungs had a bad reaction to the cold. I'm not even sure it was just an asthma attack because it felt much worse.
**** man, that sucks - but glad you survived!

I'm sure you're seeing a doc about this, but I would ask a doctor if they think the cold could make the condition worse.

my race videos