View Single Post
Old 06-02-19, 08:00 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
[QUOTE=BigChief;20953426]The Super Course was a medium priced model. The important factor is that it has a Reynolds 531 tube frame like the original club bikes. What you're talking about is what we call a scorcher. That is stripping down a regular light roadster like a Sports. I made this one from a 21" 1955 Rudge Sports. I need upright bars, so this has a tall Sunlite touring stem and long seat post so it fits me. It has alloy rims, alloy shell AW hub,a light weight seat, alloy ESGE kickstand, rat trap pedals, Tektro brakes and no mudguards or chainguard. It's pretty sporty. I put a lot of miles on this one. There is a misconception that these frames are "gas pipe" but they are not the same mild steel as the cheapo department store bikes or even electro welded Schwinns. Those are 1010 steel. The Raleigh Sports frames are more like 1018 or 1020, but still not as hard or light as the more exotic alloys like 531. Still, you can have plenty of fun on a scorcher!/QUOTE]

I'm not too clear on scorchers, but I have the 1952 Rudge Aero special frame and the 1973 Super Course frame nearby, both abour 54 or 55 cm seat tube.

Let's compare the geometries:

Seat tube length: Rudge 55 cm, SC 54 cm
Seat tube angle: Rudge 71 deg, SC 73 deg
TT length: Rudge 57 cm, SC 56 cm
Head tube angle: Rudge 73 deg, SC 73 deg
Fork offset: Rudge 63 mm, SC 59 mm
Front Center: Rudge 65 cm (estimated), SC 62 cm
Chain stay length: Rudge: 44.5 cm, SC 45.5 cm.
Wheelbase: Rudge 106 cm, SC 103 cm.

And some of the rest of the specs:

Braze-ons: both have f/r fender mounts, both take caliper brakes with center bolt (Rudge cabled for side pulls, SC cabled for center-pull). Rudge is set up for Sturmey-Archer integrated gear hub, AM, AW, FM, FW. SC set up for 2x5 derailleurs with downtube friction shifting.

My expectation is that both will make excellent descendants of the original British Clubmen, and an excellent tool for as close as I can train up to a (local version of) Lands End to John o Groats, or local long rides or day brevets. With a Carradice or Brooks bag on the rear, either would do well for an inn overnighter. Now, an International, my Woodrup refurbished, or that new Mercian I've envisioned since high school might just surpass a hot-rodded Rudge or a Super Course. But, a Clubman and a Super Course were both the dream bikes of the normal working man. Needless to say, both should be suited to supported multi-day tours.

Both have Reynolds straight gauge main tubes, the Rudge has all its tubes of Reynolds 531. Neither are gas pipe. Both are made in English factories: Rudge at Raleigh/Nottingham, SC in Raleigh-owned Carlton/Worksop. Both used steel cottered cranks. The Rudge used proprietary Raleigh threading BB and headset and will not accept a 68mm BSA BB spec. The SC was in transition from traditional Raleigh to 68 mm BSA specs. The Rudge can of course accept the original 630x32c tires with the grace that suggests the frame was designed for them. The SC is a less tight-fitting frame, but mine might accept 40 mm tires in a 622 rim. I have to do some more measuring and figuring. With the SC you can use a three, four, or five speed Sturmey Archer hub, or cold-set the frame for a Campy index-shifting 8-speed (or any other modern gearing), a full vintage French drivetrain as originally supplied, or what have you. For a dyno, either frame can have a wheel built with a modern SON or Shutter Precision hub, or a Sturmey Archer FG (wide-range four-speed gear hub with generator) or GH (front dyno hub).

Main point is that if you want to make your own modernized or S/A Clubman, a Raleigh Super Course is a nearly perfect platform. Mine is as I said a 54 centimeter one, 1973, and it is a little banged up needing an amateur alignment.