Old 06-03-19, 02:26 PM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
The private campground might be nicer. The facilities at PA state campgrounds are barely tolerable IMHO.
I actually liked Ohiopyle except for the climb. The shower house/restrooms were as good as I hope for when camping, with sink areas for dishwashing. Sites with a picnic table and fire circle. The only thing that was missing for me was any kind of camp store or even a vending machine. I wanted something cold and sweet after that climb. The guy at the office said my best bet was down in town. No way.

Originally Posted by spinnaker
If you go alone, the KOA in Connellsville is excellent and has hiker biker. There are also free shelters in Connellsville but I would not recommend them. Too close to town and the kids often use them as love shacks. If you don't stop in Connellsville then the next place to camp would be Confluence.
Did not stay at the KOA, but checked out the hiker/biker sites and did not care for them. Everything was clean and well marked, and there was a camp store, but the camping area was just a field marked off in squares. Maybe a little tree cover if you got an edge spot, otherwise none. I sleep in a hammock, so it looked like a losing spot for me either way, but on the whole, the KOA was an RV park, which is the kind of campground I try to avoid. It did seem clean and well-run, just not my kind of camping. I will say that there was good separation between tent and RV camping, so that was nice.

I'm preparing to take another stab at the whole, Pittsburgh to DC trip, and this time I'm tentatively planning on stopping the first night at Roundbottom and the second at Husky Haven, with Confluence as a back-up. If it looks like I'm not going to make it past Ohiopyle, I'll sleep in Connellsville.