Old 06-11-19, 12:11 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
I think my best option is commuting, which I might try later this week. My drive is 20 minutes, but I could ride it in 30. It's mostly downhill to work and mostly uphill back.

So on a day I wanted to train I could ride in, 30 minutes, ride home a long way and do an hour, get 90 minutes in, and it only costs me about 45 or 50 minutes over the drive.

The point for me is that I want it to be fun, and I don't (or shouldn't) care about doing well in races or being fast. If I'm fast enough to enjoy riding and be healthy overall, that should be my goal right now. I have a 1 year old and a 3 year old, I'm just not really willing to make the big sacrifices that would be necessary to be actually fast (which I never will be, because I'm fat and have bad genetics).

My point is that this sport is stupid, addicting, time consuming, and I hate that I love it.
Oh boy, is that the truth.

I was going to recommend commuting if possible. I bet 75% of my training is on the way to or from work. If you're able to take it easy on the way in, you might be able to get away with riding in your work clothes and carrying a jersey and bibs in a backpack and then you don't have to worry about showering at work. If you do your training on the way home, you can just shower at home. The downside is that it's hotter. Also, it seems to me that drivers are worse in the afternoon rush hour than in the morning, although maybe that's just a Sacramento thing.
Likes For caloso: