Old 06-17-19, 08:20 PM
cycledogg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Ahh - then you're lucky. With my glue jobs you'd be hard pressed to remove a tire and not destroy a piece of the basetape. It really depends on what school of though you came up in. Back a long time ago everyone just kind of slapped glue on and the tires were never really welded on to the rim. They were/are held in place but it a more "gooey" adhesion. Usually from using Continental glue, tubasti, etc. and/or using coats that are close together in time (not letting the base coats off gas or "cure" for hours or even a day between coats).

As you know you're fine doing it the way you've done it but for someone like me who is gluing hundreds a year and I can't have a single one roll...ever... I have found I have to go to the "welded on" technique. You can still remove tires in one piece but you have to be careful. Most of the pro mechanics I know are still gluing rapid coats making it easy to pull off the tire and re-use it.

The problems we had with the earlier glue tapes that were out there was that they just weren't strong enough and tended to lose adhesion if water penetrated them (TUFO comes to mind). The Carogna tape - I have not used it myself but plan on doing some tests this year because honestly - more people need to get back to riding tubulars and I don't have to try to be the only one gluing them anymore. The first pro mechanic that I ran across who had been given some to test was the mechanic for Jonathan Page for cross. He never used it for Page but he did try it on other wheels that were going into the UCI races. He put it on one rider's setup. This was about a year before she was named to the US team for Worlds so - not a slouch. I know her dad and so he kept letting me check out the glue over the season. It did really well. It was as good as either his or my glue jobs.

Your concern is legit. The style of gluing it will do is the solid style I mentioned above....if it sticks. I have reports of it just not doing a good job at all but honestly all of us that I know just chalk it up to really poor surface prep. I have used the tape remover from them on regular Mastik. I did a quick video on that here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyWDh12ypos

So in essence if you do a good application - clean surfaces free of any oil, etc then it can result in a hard glue bond like more modern tubular gluing. It will be a harder bond than what you are used to using your method of gluing. If that's a deal breaker then I would say stick to what you already know and do well. Hope that helps.
Thanks for the insight. FYI: My "old skool" glue procedure is what I also call 24/12/12. Clean the rim as good as possible, I prefer as-new surface, then apply the first thin coat on the rim and let dry 24 hours. Second coat as thin and also apply one thin coat to base of tire, let dry 12 hours. Last coat on rim, and tire, mount while wet. Center tire, inflate to approximately 60 psi. Roll wheel to mesh tire/rim together. Dry 12 hours. Vittoria Mastik. Removing tire was never easy. Never had a roll off. I just was thinking of using tape for a change.