wttrjenkins
Tom

Bikes: Trek Domane AL2 / Genesis Mountain Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Trying to get new bike adjusted

I bought a used trek domane al2 (only had 5 miles of use on it) and instantly the bontrager saddle that came with it hurt but I thought I'd give it the benefit of the doubt and try to get used to it. I put over 100 miles on it and was so incredibly sore that I gave up and put a cheap used seat on just a touch wider that I had. It was marginally better but I'd really like to figure out a decent saddle. I've been riding a lot this year and my other bike I had bought walmarts cheap "commuter" saddle and I was actually fairly comfortable on it compared to these more narrow saddles.

I might try throwing that wider saddle on for now and see how I fare. I tried to measure the other day on a piece of cardboard using chalk and could see a clear impression of my sitbones. I measured 120 mm to the center. I was wearing jean shorts though and I wonder if that threw off the measurement any. I might try again but does anyone know how to pick a saddle based on these measurements? I think I saw something like outside to outside and add 10 mm on each side? I think I will try to remeasure again soon also. I'm winging it on fitment but was hoping to check with some of you and see if you had some pointers. I know a proper fitment would make sense and I will when I can afford it. I'm 6' 2" and the bike is 60 cm Here's what I've done so far:

I have the seat height adjusted as high as possible before my leg is straight, with some bend left. Might need to go a little either way but its close.
I used a level to adjust the angle and its level.
I used a plumb bob off of my knee cap and have the seat slid back to get my knee cap even with the center of the pedal.

I haven't done anything with the stem, I do have some numbing in my hands but my elbows have room to have a little bend in them, not locked straight. I have been just constantly moving my hands around and stopping because of numbness and soreness from the seat. I don't know if my hand numbness is from the seat or if the reach is too far. I barely use the drops unless its really windy or I'm trying to climb a hill faster, etc. My hands go numb faster in the drops. Sorry for such a long post, hoping to go for a ride tomorrow.