DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4336 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
Originally Posted by Love2Ride
I gave up on the fuss and muss years ago. Unless you're an elite racer, you'll find that today's clinchers will serve you just as well, without the hassles of tubulars.

Originally Posted by mechanicmatt
I won't be the one to change anyone's opinion on tubulars, I don't understand the need for them in any way. I guess it was once a weight savings, right? But now with all lightweight tubes and clinchers, or even tubeless setups, I think there isn't an advantage. I get the nostalgia for them, but I know more people that end up "stranded" and calling for a ride because of them over the years than any other setup. Anyway, I don't mean to bash it really, but I steer clear of them as much as possible.
It's about the experience. This is C&V and tubulars are part of the package with old-timey nice bikes. At least as much as steel frames, toe clips, slotted cleats, downtube shifters, and exposed cables. They do give a very nice ride, but I'd bet none of the tubular fans in here use them for any perceived performance advantage. I understand why some people don't want to bother with them, but I don't understand the need for people to make strawman arguments against them.

And personal anecdote FWIW - I've had to walk home or get a ride because of broken bones, broken cranks, broken chains, and failed clincher repairs - not once because of a sew-up issue.
Likes For DiabloScott: