Old 11-09-19, 08:47 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by MrBinky
Agreed. I was able to walk away without any broken bones. But still. Their client hit me with their car and I was on a bike....

That being said, I'm trying to grapple with the idea of a bike's value. It's not like a car. There are few moving parts and the value stays relatively high. I guess I need to get ebay/cl posts of others selling the same bike I had. I also has a standard stock kit on the bike. Only main changes were seat and handle post, but it was smooth and worked really well.

All very good points on value and how to get the real value point of view for what I'm agruing.

Question for all: How much does an insurnace company pay for their client hitting you with their 2.5K ton car while they are texting?
1- you claim bikes dont depreciatelike a car, but that isnt accurate. In retail shops, old models are discounted when new, just like cars. On the secondary market, used bikes sell for a lot less than new, just like cars.

2- your last question which you post to all is completely beside the point. You are attempting to insert emotion into the transaction. I also dont even understand the question because there is no one answer to it. How much the insurance company pays is obviously dependent on how much loss there was.
Citing the car's weight is a clear indicator that you are seeing this from an emotional perspective. The car's weight is irrelevant. If it weighed 500# less would that make a difference? Of course it wouldnt. But you cited weight to make it seem worse.

Insurance exists to compensate you for loss and to make that loss whole again.
You were riding a 3 year old stock bike with used clothing.
So if you disagree with their valuation of your equipment, then place a value on it, find ways to back that value up, and counter offer.

It's really quite simple- this is a negotiation. Negotiate until you view the offer as acceptable and enough to make you whole again. But you better have reasons and not just emotion.

I'll not that you still haven't said what you think your stuff is worth and why its worth that. You have only complained about the insurance company's initial offer.
A forum is hardly the place for this, but since the can is open, why not continue to pull out its contents?
Likes For mstateglfr: