View Single Post
Old 11-20-19, 01:39 PM
Chr0m0ly 

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 ‘91 Cannondale ST600,'83 Trek 720 ‘84 Trek 520, 620, ‘91 Miyata 1000LT, '79 Trek 514, '78 Trek 706, '73 Raleigh Int. frame.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 219 Posts
I'm 5'10" (almost) and I have a biking inseam of 88.25cm. The overall height measurement puts me on a 56/58cm frame, but with more of my height in my legs, I ended up raising the saddle. I needed a longer seat post for my 57cm Miyata 710 to get the proper leg extension.
Once I did that, my seat to bar drop was too much, maybe 2.5 or 3 inches or so and that's at the steering stems minimal insertion mark.

Asthetics comes in at this point. I can comfortably ride a 57cm frame with taller post and stem, or try a taller bike. I tried a 24" Trek 610. The taller bike has a longer top tube, so I needed a shorter stem. 6.5 cm stems work very well for me on a 24" bike frame.

So both frames "fit" with a bit of parts modification.

I really like the looks of the old French constructour bikes from the '40s. They seem to have about three inches of seatpost showing, and I came to associate that proportion with beautiful bicycles. My 57cm Miyata just looks off to me.

There is also a difference in road feel. With the smaller frame I feel "on" the bike. I can whip it around, and really tick the frame back and fourth for high effort, but I prefer the feel of the taller frame. Instead of up on top of the bike it feels like I'm more "in" the bike. Or instead of perched on top of the rear wheel with my face hanging over the front wheel, I'm tucked in between the wheels.

Instead of cutting turns, it carves turns. When I hit a bump the bike seems to rock back when the front raises, and forward when the rear raises. The smaller frame makes bumps feel like they're transmitted up more.

I also think if a frame fits correctly then your post and stem should have adjustment either up or down. If you have everything at the limit of it's adjustment range, it seems like a different frame might be in order.

This is all my opinion and a lot of it is based on what I think looks and feels right. If you prefer a more aggressive and sporty ride, then a smaller frame might suit you best.

I like the feel of a long frame, and tend to go for bikes with long chainstays, relaxed geometry, and at the higher end of my fit range. Never have I felt like my bikes don't turn in fast enough, or corner tight enough, and I find a stable ride is faster because you aren't constantly correcting your course.

So really this is a loong post about everyone is different and you'd need to try it. But I can't flat foot my 24" bike and it doesn't bother me at all. You don't ride a bike with your feet on the ground.

I come to a stop, move forward off the saddle, put a toe down, and lean the bike a couple degrees to put my heel down. Coming from motorcycles a bicycle feels extremely safe and stable.

I spent years on bikes that were too small and I wouldn't go back.