Old 05-22-20, 05:04 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
So, ditching tubular on the TT bike. The old school thin HED 3c is up for sale and the old thin Renn disc also.

The "new to me" HED disc came in mail yesterday. Wow, dude never even looked like he used it! Shiny, beautiful piece of kit. Also, thought I'd have to convert to 11 speed .

Nope, it had the little space ring on the hub. He must have had it on an older bike.

I cannot wait to ride it.
I think there is a good argument for a tubeless on a TT bike. For road, not thinking that yet. Even on the tandem - I'm all tubular as I type with my glued up fingers from a 30 min ago glue job.
Edit add:
A 22wide tubular has about the same air above the rim and feel as a bigger (maybe 25mm) tubeless or clincher. So you get more give with a lighter tire. On a smooth TT course where the rider is mostly holding speed and mostly going straight, that shock absorbing and weight is less an issue. Then for exotic stuff, a silk case tubular like what FMB (and others) make is not going to be beat by any standard mfg casing for feel and road holding on a dry road.

Last edited by Doge; 05-23-20 at 01:02 PM.