Old 05-25-20, 01:37 PM
grnmasi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My girlfriend has a 56 cm Domane SL 7 etap with the Aeolus Pro 3v wheels. I have her set up with 32 mm GP 5000 clinchers and Conti 28 Wide butyl tubes. If I recall correctly, I have been using ~ 55-60 psi (F) and 60-65 psi (R) for the most part, but I think she feels more comfortable (she can tell the difference) at the lower end of the ranges. She really loves her bike and really flies when on flats or downhill, (i.e. seems faster than me :-) )even though the combo of me and my 2016 58 cm SuperSix Evo Hi-Mod probably is ~ 5 lbs less than her. I am sure she feels more stable on the downhills too because of the weight distribution on her bike. I personally am running 25 mm Michelin Pro Endurance tires on Ksyrium wheels.

The only time she struggles a bit is on hills and I was thinking of lightening up her bike with some lighter tires and tubes. From the Trek literature, I read that Trek recommended 32 mm tires as the minimum on the Aeolus Pro 3V wheels, but I found some reviewers had 28 mm tires outfitted on the bikes. I contacted Trek via chat and they said that initially 32 mm tires were the minimum as they had not tested the 28 mm tires on the wheels. Subsequently, the engineers tried those and found them to work very well, both smooth and fast on the road, and now state the 28 mm tires can be used.

Have any of you tried 28 mm tires, particularly the GP 5000, on the Aeolus Pro 3v wheels? How did you like them and how did the ride change vs wider tires on both smooth and rough roads? What pressures were you running them and what is your body weight? All real life experiences and recommendations are very welcome.

Thanks,
Nick