Old 05-29-20, 09:23 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I seem to recall that it is you who frequently advocates not wasting time with rides - coasting to stops, soft/not pedaling downhill, etc, etc. Over my last few rides, I've been targeting a cruising power of ~90% of my FTP, mostly... just because, honestly. Are you saying that this type of work will reap good returns?

On these rides, there's been an immediate and stark difference in average speed and, surprising to me, perceived exertion has actually been easier than many of my non-deliberate rides.
Oh, yeah! The 10% rule (less than 10% of any ride in Z1). A quick and easy way to boost overall average speed and power. But this is obviously highly dependent on routes with little to no stops or downhills in which you can no longer pedal.

90% of FTP is the "sweet spot" region in Coggan/Allen cycling lore. It's one of my favorite "zones" in which to train because it's repeatable for multiple days throughout the week, it gives a lot of aerobic benefits, and it's a lot more enjoyable speed-wise than just spinning around all day in Z2.

Likes For rubiksoval: