View Single Post
Old 08-04-20, 03:37 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by danallen

I just saw that the "hubs" and bottom bracket should "repacked" every 500-1000 miles. I am confused about that. I understand the hub on the rear wheel. I had no idea it needs such frequent attention. My impression is the bearings in the front wheel pretty much can be left alone. The wheels are aluminum Bontrager Race Lite. Regarding the bearing in in the bottom bracket, I thought they are sealed. Does the bottom bracket need to come apart every 500 miles?

The only problem I see is I think the left side crank is too far on the shaft, creating some unnecessary friction. I know it is bad to have side to side motion in the crank, but I am going to see if I can loosen it slightly. I have to get one of those special shimano tools for undoing preload cap.
None of this sounds normal to me. Obviously I can't physically examine your bike, but I recommend that you take it to your local bike shop. If you have a Trek dealer in your area, you might take it there. I say that just to avoid any brand bias that a local shop could have. A Trek dealer won't be able to simply talk trash about your bike, just because of the brand.
Likes For noodle soup: