Old 08-05-20, 06:14 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,038 Times in 4,475 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
No problem. They are tasty.

As you probably remember, I’ve done a lot of riding in Montana. Deer are almost as numerous as pigeons in the big city. In 2017 I passed a motorist who had just hit one. Her hood was buckled. No visible external damage to the animal, but the thing was dead as fried chicken. People with expensive truck often have guards on the front, which I assume are to protect the vehicle in case of a deer or elk strike. On the last day of my 2019 tour I left my hotel in town early. There were several grazing by the side of the road by a gas station/convenience store. A couple of them wandered into the road without looking. The locals know to expect stupid behavior from them.
When I lived in the mountains there was a security guy who would come out and clean and butcher deer when they were hit by cars. He would split the meat with the driver who hit it. I car pooled with a guy who owned a body shop and he got business from deer strikes. Biker395 on the forum hit a deer with his WRX and I think it was like $5k damage.