Old 07-22-16, 12:58 PM
dksix

Bikes: Basso Luguna, Fuji Nevada

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4261 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by velociraptor
Oh sorry, you're right... Saw the Trek links, but my eyes totally glazed over the subsequent, illegible links.

I didn't realize that anyone paid list retail for a new bike(?)

I stand by my post – any of the bikes I listed can be had for $1200 out the door, after taxes (the Emonda might be the only exception – but hey, we're coming up on the end of the season so anything's possible).

And every LBS I've ever been to offers a 10-20% discount on related gear with bike purchase... So helmet, shoes & shorts could likely all be had for ~$100.

I mean come on, anybody here ever read Art of The Deal? It's HUGE.
I'm sure you've bought more new bikes than I have. What I've looked at locally were at least MSRP (looked at Fuji's that were priced OVER the price posted on Fuji.com) and we have a 9.5% sales tax in TN. I suppose I'm painting a pretty clear picture of why I've not bought new bikes. Maybe in areas where there is some competition shops are forced to be more competitive. The only bike shop is the closest town to me is on average 200% + higher on parts and accessories ($39.95 for a 700x25 Ultra Sport II) and has the Fuji Sportif 2.1 I first looked at for $899. I went in there just a week ago looking for a tire, ended up ordering 2 Grand Prix GT from Ribble for $2 more a PAIR than a single Ultra Sport II locally but I'm wait for them to come in. Like they say, not all LBS's are created equally.