Old 01-24-18, 06:45 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,432 Times in 2,539 Posts
I graduated in high school at (if my memory is correct) 145lbs. I have a wide ribcage and frame, so (a) that camoflauges my 240ish weight well (nobody can believe I weigh as much as I do), and (b) back then I looked like a freak, with the bottom of my ribcage sticking way out.

Back then, the family didn't have a lot of money, so I couldn't eat like a lot of teenage boys get to, which morphed into a "must eat everything possible" mentality, which I still combat to this day, and consider a bit of an eating disorder.

Everybody's heard of the 'freshman 15' from eating every meal in buffet cafeterias. Well for me it was more like freshman 40.

I remember by the time I was in grad school (probably 23) I was 205, because I was working out with my roommate, and was able to bench my weight.

(Apart from lifting with that roommate) I never got regular exercise, but I gradually learned to cook, and fed myself too well, and so I drifted up to where I am now. Since I moved 5 years ago, I've been cycling to work (11mi rt) almost every day, and haven't really lost any weight, but at least I've stopped drifting up. Toss in some recreational trail riding, and playing pick-up ultimate almost every week, and I consider myself 'fit fat'.

I don't expect to ever lose significant weight, because food is delicious. I'm already getting enough exercise, that it would be literally impossible to add enough extra exercise to offset my intake (and keep a job). And I've come to terms with the fact that I just don't have the willpower (or interest) in drastically rolling back my intake. So here I am.