Old 03-23-18, 08:41 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Look to your genetics. That's your family history is your first and most prominent indicator of your potential for good heart health. After that, your diet and maintaining a healthy weight. Finally comes your aerobic exercise. Martial arts won't do anything for heart health. Not even sure why you mentioned that?
If I look at my genetics, than maybe I am doomed. But then again, you never know. My father died fairly young from heart disease. On the other hand, there are male relatives on both my mother and father's side of the family who, despite suffering some serious health issues in middle age, lived into their 90s, so lifestyle and genetics might work together.

My track record maintaining a healthy weight is mixed. However, when it comes to losing, and maintaining weight loss, doing a single type of physical activity has usually not been enough. Except, at times two. Running, and martial arts. Those were the activities where I did manage to maintain a healthy weight over a long period of time.

And, I respectfully disagree with your assessment of martial arts. I believe it will be beneficial to heart health. It is a full body workout, it is a year round activity, and it is weight bearing. Now, in some aspects, it is different from cycling. You apply full effort for short periods of time, and relax in between, which makes it a bit more of an interval type workout than cycling. My only concern is the wear and tear on my joints. I am hoping I can minimize with a good stretching regimen and with good technique.

Last edited by MRT2; 03-23-18 at 09:06 AM.