View Single Post
Old 03-27-18, 07:12 AM
Gerry221

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced, Merida Racelight, Specialized Allez, Bianchi Doss 500 MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 23 Posts
Riding alone is not enough....but it is better than nothing.

I am 52 yrs of age. I recently began cycling....9 months ago. I weighed a whopping 24 stone. I ate crap all day long. Sat on the sofa after work. Watching TV. Playing PS4. Guzzling fizzy drinks by the litre. Chocolate bars. Biscuits, cakes. Little or no exercise. I was unfit. In agony. Diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. High BP. Depression. Was taking a fistful of tablets every day to combat these problems....but never once thought about changing my lifestyle.

Until....

I was at work, could feel chest pains. Said nothing....as I work in the NHS and surrounded with nurses.

Went to A&E after work. Was admitted to hospital. Was basically told by a consultant that unless I change my life, I will be dead in 5 years. Even this didn't scare me enough....I know, ridiculous, isn't it?

So, on I went....eating, lazing about.

Until one day, a colleague who cycles - and had been on at me to go out with her - finally convinced me to give cycling a try. I dug my old Pagan MTB out the shed.....weighed about the same as a small car lol. Went over to the nature reserve, near where I stay......and struggled to go eben 1 mile. Any slight rise in the road killed me.

But, I kept at it. Bought a better bike, a Giant Aluxx hybrid. Went on the road. Managing 3 miles now before I collapsed. But, I kept going. the chance came along to buy a proper road bike. I did. Now, I am hooked.

This was 9 months ago. In that time, I have lost 4 stone. Can cycle for 40 miles now without a stop. Not fast, just at my own pace....avg 14mph. Wearing lycra - which I said I would never do! I have changed my life totally. I eat healthier. Don't sit in front of TV anywhere near as much as I did. Cut out the fizzy drinks, chocolate, cakes and all. Have a treat now and again. I still want to drop another 4 stone. I will do it!!!

No, cycling is not enough....but it is a good place to start. Without it, I wouldn't be in the place I am just now.

I did try jogging, walking and the gym....found that all very tedious. Not so with cycling. I have met many new friends, who encourage me. See the world in a different way....

So to quote the great Freddie Mercury....

"Get on your bikes and ride!"