Old 09-26-18, 04:08 AM
bartek. 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
FTP test on velodrome

Hi,

as my track session has just begun, I wanted to set my Power Zones and would like to start with the FTP test on track. I read somewhere that track is not the best place to make the test but I have a power meter only on my track bike, so..;-)
Here is some questions that bother me and it's hard to find answers on the Internet.

a) what type of test suits better for a velodrome? 20 minutes or 2x8 minutes?
b) how to manage gear ratio? just pick the one that give you a stable pace at ~95rpm for what I consider is my FTP?
c) shall I go with the traditional warmup for FTP? 3x all-i-can intervals + 5 mins full effort before the proper test? Maybe I am wrong but doing this kind of warm up could be more exhausted on one gear than on road bike and can impact on the FTP results. or maybe shall I use rollers for the warm up?
d) what about nutrition? is it ok to make a short pit stop during 10 mins recovery after the 5 mins full effort to drink a water and supply an energy gel?
e) do you do the test on the sprinter's line?
f) i guess there is no answer for this, but is it better to go with the aerobars or dropbars? I believe I can produce better numbers while in time trial position but I guess using the FTP results for training on the dropbars can be not efficient?

Looking for some answers for more experienced riders,
thanks!