KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
Update:

Got the rack assembled. That was a gauntlet to do alone...including one "OH SH*T!, OH SH*T!, OH SH*T!" moment when I was trying to bolt a pair of the uprights and it started to topple. It's possible to do solo, but I'd suggest you get help. Also go buy one normal and one ratcheting spanner/wrench in the size(s) you need for the big bolts (15/16" in my case...huge.). There are LOTS of them. The ratcheting saved the day.

Even though I don't have all of the equipment a gym has, I can now do the basics safely:

- squat
- bench press
- deadlift
- military (overhead) press
- pull ups

I got all of this equipment new for less than the cost of my SRM power meter. I should have done this years ago.

I am missing a few supplemental exercises that I used to do with gym machines and dumbbells. But, I'll figure something out.

Lifting tonight I experienced something that I have never experienced before while lifting...silence. Complete silence. It was awesome. Serene. Like a long peaceful bike ride where you have the trail to yourself and you just cruise enjoying the scenery.

Every gym I've ever been to has had either radio or some awful playlist playing music constantly. This is why everyone wears headphones or earbuds...to drown out the crap music . And you have to play your own music really loudly to do so. I really think gyms should have no music playing and then if people want music, they use headphones. That way everyone is happy. The people who want quiet get quiet. The people who want music get their own music without having to play it very loud to drown out the gym playlist. Call me crazy.
Couldn't disagree more. For the mere fact that listening to obnoxious can be irritating but can be ignored after a while. Listening to people talk about their lives, on the other hand, can be far more irritating especially when they stand next to you with grating voices and the worst English this side of the Atlantic -- which people that talk loud always have.

I cringe just thinking about those instances. Between the two, I'd take the obnoxious music any day.
(any music that isn't your favorite is "crap music", btw)
I try to "appreciate" all music, and look for opportunities to expand my palate. But yes, sometimes its just a lot of loud screeching.

Last edited by KraneXL; 04-11-19 at 03:27 PM. Reason: clarity