View Single Post
Old 06-18-19, 03:54 AM
rivers

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 79 Posts
As someone else higher up the thread said, speak for yourself. When I was in the market for a new bike, I bought an aero bike as the price was right, it was the right size, and after a 20 mile test ride, I found it extremely comfortable and fun to ride. I'm not really fast enough to make massive gains through aerodynamic advantage. But it brings a smile to my face when I'm riding, so who cares?
However, I am faster on it this year than I was last year. Is it because I spent all winter riding my heavier CX bike with 35mm tyres? Or am I just fitter because I rode my bike all winter? Probably a combination of the two. But, the CX bike is a lot harder work than my aero bike.
On Saturday, I took the winter bike out on a club ride as there was rain in the forecast. I joined group 3 as I'm tapering for a 205 mile ride at the weekend, and didn't want anything too fast or hard work. Group 3 rides are generally a social affair in my club. However, it was a tough ride on the bike. 26 miles, 1600 ft of climbing, 14.6mph average, the usual small hills a struggle, and just a struggle in general through the entire ride. Heart rate was zone 3 and zone 4 for most of the ride.
The prior Sunday, however, I was out on a sociable "ladies ride" with some of the other girls in my club on my aero bike. 80 miles, 4500 ft of climbing, 14.8mph average, 2x categorised climbs (3/4), but a really nice, sociable ride. It wasn't a struggle, and we all had a good natter throughout the ride. Heart rate was zone 2 for a majority, with a small amount in 3 and a few minutes in zone 4. I could have pushed it more, and I still wouldn't have struggled nearly as much as I did on Saturday.
And if I compare my winter bike to my aero bike on a group 2 club run, for a ride that is 15.5mph average pace over mostly the same route (group 2 adds 1 x categorised climb and roughly 1.5 miles to the route), again, my heart rate is mostly in zone 2, with a bit of time in 3 and 4. Again, that ride was not a massive struggle compared with this past weekend's.
ride. And comparing temperature and wind, both were about the same.

I didn't buy the aero bike because it would make me faster. I bought it because it's fun to ride. I didn't buy the CX bike because it would make me stronger when on the aero bike. I bought it because it could take wider tyres and has hydraulic disc brakes, which is what I wanted for winter riding and so I had something a bit more versatile that would be appropriate for a bit of off-road riding. It is also fun to ride, but in a different way.

I don't ride for the sole purpose of seeing how fast I can go, although how far I can go is a completely different story. I ride because it brings a smile to my face, and yeah I get excited if I set a new PB, or on the rare occasion get a QOM. Let's see if I am still smiling come sunset Saturday...