View Single Post
Old 10-31-19, 07:50 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill

Is it really that long ago that you've forgotten? The first time I took my child on the bike they were no more puzzled about it that the most recent time I took my child in my car. It's a seat, you belt them in. The first time I put a helmet on my child they were no more hesitant than the most recent time I put a hat on their head. But once we rolled out they were clearly so terrified that within twenty minutes - they - were - soundly - asleep.

After the first time, they would flash the universal toddler "up" sign while saying "bike!"

The biggest change when we moved to a trailer bike is that they couldn't sleep anymore. Once they started to "pull" their own weight we had to learn how to be a captain and stoker.

-mr. bill
Do you always have to deliberately miss the point to make yourself seem like the smartest guy in the room? When an adult agrees to get on a bike piloted by you, he/she understands the risk they're taking on your level of ability and are assuming that risk. Are you really claiming that when a toddler gives you a thumbs up or falls asleep, they are knowingly assuming the risk? The other really obvious point is that if you do suddenly start riding like a total jerk, the adult has the ability to "abandon ship". The kid does not and probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference anyway.

It's admittedly been a very long time since my kids were small, but my memory is that I rode a bit more conservatively with them on the bike and in the trailer, in part because the vehicle plus child is slightly less maneuverable, but also because I felt it was necessary to be as risk-avoidant as I could practically be with my child. My usual breakneck pace was not something I was willing to do with them on board. My tandem-riding experience is almost non-existent, but I imagine I'd be comfortable taking a few more chances if the other adult said he/she was ok with it.