View Single Post
Old 04-07-20, 04:24 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,464 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Imperatore
I'm still extremely new to biking, and was unaware of there being a Big Three, haha. I'll be more aware of it from now on.

One bike I saw that was not a part of the big three - and is incredibly similar to the FX Disc series - is the Cannondale Quick, which is incredibly sleek looking and seems to be very well-liked. Either way, I think I made the right decision, like you said the FX is a winner, but the bike world sure is huge and a bit intimidating to get into. I'll be alright, though. In a couple years, I'll know my way around!

While I'm here, let me ask you, if you don't mind. I went for the FX 3 Disc over the 2 because of the carbon fork. How important is that? I read that that's a feature mainly seen in higher end bikes. Is that correct? I'm sure it doesn't hurt, obviously, but is it a game-changer type of feature?
The big three are Trek, Giant, and Specialized. These companies are all evil in some ways but also fantastic in other ways. You may need to choose a favorite based on who is least evil, like the cable companies.

The Cannondale looks great, too. Maybe I just like this class of bike, whatever it is called.

The nice thing about the Quick and the FX is that it can be a stepping stone bike but it might also be the last bike you buy. And they're not terribly expensive.

The carbon fork reduces weight, and reducing weight is almost always a good thing. I only know one person who replaced his fork with something heavier, but he has special needs, and he has a stout, heavy body. The carbon fork might also be better in absorbing shock than the aluminum it replaces, but I don't really know. So since you spent the money on it, it's a good thing.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider: