Old 05-18-19, 11:59 AM
Juggy_Gales

Bikes: 2018 Giant Toughroad SLR2

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by freegeek
[RANT] I try to do as much maintenance work on my bike not because it's cheaper but simply because dealing with a LBS is a frustrating experience. My bike needed some minor stuff done , and when I say minor I really mean minor (new chain + new hydraulic disc hose). Because I didn't have time myself over the weekend I decided to bring my bike to the LBS last week thinking that after the weekend I would have my bike back. My bike is still in the shop because they didn't have a friggin bleeding kit. When I asked if they are serious that my bike is still in the shop because they don't have the $20 Shimano bleeding kit they give me the "annoying customer" look. They told me it will take until the end of the week for the part to arrive (seriously!). I can go online, order and have the damn thing delivered next day. In total my bike will be in the shop for a full week for what is essentially a 30 minutes job. Last time I tried to buy a big ticket item in a LBS was my power pedals (Garmin Vector), they told me it would take 6 weeks (I'm not kidding), I went home, ordered online, had them delivered next day. Both of these experiences are good reminders why I avoid LBS as the plague. [/END RANT]
I really think it depends on the LBS in your area.. In The Tampa Bay area of FL.. there are LBS all over the place.. Nice weather = great biking environment..

Now there are a few LBS that would turn off anyone to the LBS experience.. I have had HORRIBLE experience with one shop called Neptune in Tarpon Springs FL if any of you are in the area.. avoid that place.. Holy shiza.. whoa..
But... There are other shops that are very nice and have worked with me on many things and will even work with you on discounting prices.. their bike mechanics are very adept in their field. Outspokin in Clearwater FL really goes above and beyond for their customers.