Old 07-09-19, 09:50 PM
tunavic

Bikes: '12 BMC Road Racer, Pinarello KOBH

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
What features are you most in need of in the 1030 ?. The Edge Explore does most of the functions, mostly skips a lot of the fitness oriented functions. Doesn't have the extended battery capability and run time is shorter (in theory) than a 1030, but you can always adda stick USB battery to it. $250 vs. $550 or so
I have the Edge Explore. The touchscreen is responsive, the screen is large, the maps have good detail and the navigation functions are excellent. It doesn't have the fitness oriented functions nor Strava segments and I don't miss them. Having said that, there are two issues.

#1 It does not display gradient and the Connect IQ gradient apps that are available work poorly and are a big drain on the battery. - not a big deal but a definite issue.

#2 When my rides upload, the elevation gain is grossly under reported. I correct this by requesting an elevation correction on Strava. An example would be a double century I did in March. Just about every rider had over 8,200 ft elevation gain. Mine showed barely over 5,000. That's just one example. It does this on every ride. The larger the gain, the worse the result.