Old 11-28-20, 09:59 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Depends on the individual. Watch the pros, and some spin a tiny gear, some mash a huge gear, and most are in the middle .... but they are all different.
True, but if you're drained at the end of a climb, it seems to indicate something is wrong with your technique. I ride climbs with slopes up to 12% regularly and I'm old with two replaced knees, so I now have to use lower gearing than I needed 10-15 years ago. I can still find a gear ratio that allows a moderate cadence that doesn't leave me drained at the end of the climb. The OP doesn't mention how long these climbs are. I ride one that's 4 miles of nonstop climbing in the 6-10% range that's tough and takes maybe 30 minutes. I also ride up to 22 miles that's all climbing, but only has a 3% average slope, that's really not difficult, even for a 67 year old. FWIW, I use a 46/30 or 48/32 crank with a SRAM 10-36 12 speed cassette. The 48/10 gear is the same as a 53/11.

When I was a only 53, I rode the 28 miles from Idaho Springs to the top of 14,00 foot Mt. Evans, in 2:35. That time would usually get a person in the top 10 on race day. Average speed about 11 mph. The average slope up Mt. Evans is only about 4%, but the altitude makes it tough. My weight was and still is right at 2 pounds per inch. I still lift weights regularly and carry more upper body muscle weight than most pro riders who specialize in climbing.
Likes For DaveSSS: