Old 10-15-14, 06:00 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Shotland
I don't understand. Why does everyone give me a hard time for my choice of tubeless? It's faster, more reliable, smoother, and has a lower rolling resistance than tubular. Period.
Two reasons: it's low pressure and it's clincher. High pressure is to deal with the g-forces; at a full sprint, on a steep track, you weigh close to double since you are pulling nearly 2g acceleration. It also decreases rolling resistance because, unlike on the road, the surface is pretty smooth; higher tire pressure yields lower rolling resistance in this situation. A glued interface is better than clincher because, in the event of a flat, you have a prayer of staying upright long enough to come to a stop. No prayer if the rim is allowed contact to the track surface, which is automatic in the case of a clincher.

Ride what you like, but I'll take my 150+psi tubulars over any sort of clincher, tubeless or tubed, any day.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter