Old 02-18-19, 03:45 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by sweetspot
I am still looking for ways of improving comfort on my Jamis Rengade steel. I have Panaracer Gravelking SK 43c tires, Combined with Ergon CF3 Pro carbon seatpost rear of my bike is very comfortable. But front still lacks in that department so I have bought 90mm shockstop stem from Redshift. To be honest - it is not a magic solution to my problems. When you use combination of elastomers recommended for your weight the suspension effect is only slightly visible but only when you ride on hoods. When on tops it does not move almost at all. So I changed the elastomers as if I was less that 50 kg in weight. In that configuration you can feel stem moving more but still when on tops the effect is less than desirable. The next step will be to change to one elasotmer (recommended to flat bar) but I fear that having elastomer only on one side will make handlebar less stable. But we will se.

The bottom line is this: from my initial tests it looks like that when you (as me) are riding most of the time on tops the shockstop stem will not work like you wanted it to work and you will achieve greater results just by having bigger tire set up tubeless with least possible pressure. The other option seems to have a double decker Canyon handlebar where tops are very flexible and works even if you do not put much weight on them (which is necessary for shockstop stem to work properly).

I am curious if other users of this suspension stem have similar experience with it?
First questions first:
- Your weight.
- Are your tires set up tubeless?
- What PSI are you currently running?