Old 09-30-19, 10:21 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3465 Post(s)
Liked 1,470 Times in 1,147 Posts
Originally Posted by Winfried
Hello,

Days getting shorter is the opportunity to move from the hassles of USB lights.

Before spending time building my very first dynamo-hub wheel, I'd like to try a bottle dynamo, either AXA or Busch & Müller.

But before I buy lights, I need to know if LED lights are compatible, ie. they work just as well with either type of dynamo.

Thank you.
Years ago one of the first LED headlights was the B&M D-Lumotec Oval. They made that in a bottle generator model in addition to dynohub model, the difference was that the bottle version did not have an on/off switch because with a bottle generator you can move the generator off of the tire to turn it off. I bought a couple of those lights when they were on clearance pricing. Used them for the first couple years on my dynohub while I was trying to decide what to buy for permanent lights.

Based on that experience, I suspect that the answer is yes. The bottle type generators probably have a much faster frequency of alternating current, but unless you were doing something complicated, I can't see that as being a problem.

OR, if you really wanted to make sure, e-mail or call Peter White and ask him if there would be any problem. If you know which light you want, you could specifically name that light.

I still use one of those bottle type generator LED lights that lacks a switch with my errand bike, photo attached.

I do not suggest you mount a light that low, even something small like fallen tree leaves cause big shadows. But I only use my errand bike on well lit streets, so I mostly use it as a to-be-seen light and the low mount works fine for that.