Thread: LBS Shop
View Single Post
Old 09-05-11, 01:12 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
One of the rules about a first bike----It is only there to tell you what the second one is going to be.

That first bike and you may be lucky- It could be the right size- have the rights components and even be the right style of bike. Until you get into the sport and have been in it for a year or so- you do not know what is right for you.

I started riding 21 years ago on MTB's and then it was whatever I could afford. Eventually got decent bikes but 5 years ago I decided to give road a try. My LBS gave me some good advice. Buy cheap but buy above Crap. They are Giant Agents so I started on an OCR3. It had everthing I wanted- Wheels- brakes and a triple crank. I learnt a lot on that bike so when one year later I got the 2nd bike- It was the right size- had good wheels and a compact crank. I have stayed road and have a couple of good bikes but by the time you learn what road riding is about- have sorted the bike and you are ready to go- You will need a new bike.

I paid $600 for that OCR- 2nd bike cost nearer $5,000 and so did the 3rd. I sold the OCR for $400 this year. It still rode well but was not the bike I should have bought in the first place. But Any bike I bought as the first bike would not have been right either.I just did not know what I wanted- needed- or required.

Spike Milligan