View Single Post
Old 07-29-14, 09:42 AM
Chitown_Mike
That guy from the Chi

Bikes: 88 Trek 800 - gone to new cheeks; '14 Trek 1.2 - aka The X1 Advanced; '13 Trek 3500 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
My issue is I can seem to get a phone with the battery life I want and I refuse to get a iFail....sorry I cannot stand apple products. I did run a Polar bluetooth HRM the last couple of seasons and really liked that, but I was limited in the phones capabilities to handle a 6 hour ride (for instance). If I were to get a phone I'd be spending what it would plus some than just getting a Garmin, and I have no real reason to get a new phone (I have a Galaxy SII thats been rooted and tweaked). I figure I'd be in $500 for a new phone plus sensors, so $300 on a Garmin makes more financial sense to me. I appreciate the thoughts but I don't think I could sell my wife in a new phone and sensors when there is nothing wrong with the phone I have!

I think I'd be leaning towards a Garmin more, especially since I have an Amazon Prime account and can get a deal on the unit with sensors.

Oh and side note: Amazon Warehouse is da-bomb. I have gotten some slick deals from them so far.

Originally Posted by jdevarie
I would not waste my money on any of the dedicated GPS devices. In my experience and based on the specifications, the receivers on these devices are slow in nature and react slowly to changes in the route. The added benefit of cadence, etc is null. If you have a smart phone it would be a better option. There are plenty of apps available for them and sensors you can purchase. With the advent of Bluetooth Low Energy, many phones are compatible with these sensors. Another plus, is that they combine with the maps app on the phone to provide you with clear directions, etc. You can look this up before you go and spend over $400.00 on a device that you can only use on the bike and is marginal in performance at best.
rregards,
Jim
Originally Posted by IBOHUNT
With all due respect it may be 'null' for you however it may not be for the OP who stated...

...something I can dial in on my road bike (cadence, speed, etc) and then swap to my commuter/MTB...

Sure, one can go out and get all kinds of other sensors that may work with other apps but for simplicity sake... get a Garmin 500 and be done with it.