View Single Post
Old 01-26-20, 08:21 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 1,468 Times in 1,145 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
Re this specific fork issue, I think it's fair to say that this sort of incident is exceedingly rare, and in my opinion not something to take into account for considering one bike vs another.
I agree it is rare, but I would put aluminum fork on my list of reasons to think twice about a bike that I planed to use for loaded touring or for high mileage. If I was comparing two equal touring bikes and one had an aluminum or carbon fork, I would take the steel one.

I have not intentionally avoided aluminum frame bikes, my folding bike has an aluminum frame (and steel fork). But as an engineer I have a bias towards steel.

I think you hear of more carbon failures than metal frame failures. I have specifically avoided carbon, have never owned a carbon bike or carbon fork. A friend of mine tours with a carbon fork, but that is his call.

In all fairness to aluminum, I have never heard anyone complain about a loaded touring bike that is aluminum that had a bad shimmy. I think steel is more likely to have a resonance problem than aluminum. There are advantages and disadvantages to all materials.