Old 04-27-19, 02:46 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 633 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
24 MPH should be easy enough to hit on the level. No hills needed.

I can pretty easily punch it up to 25 MPH, and have averaged > 25 MPH on the level for about a mile or so. I am a bit of a slow rider, but I'm working on getting faster.

I can also hit 30 MPH (or slightly higher) on the level, but that takes more work, and I can't keep it up as long.

Despite all the mantra that it is the rider, not the bike, that is only half true. Hit that range 25 to 30 MPH, and the bike makes a big difference. If I can hit 30 on the road bike, I'm stuck at about 25 on the cross bike, if that fast.
Is that considered a "slow rider"? I don't really think so, unless you're comparing yourself to a pro or someone who races competitively.

Those are almost exactly my numbers. Hitting 30 on the flats with no gradient or wind assist is difficult for me, but doable. I can sustain 25-26 by myself for a mile or two depending on wind and gradient (I live in a flat area).

I'm a terrible Paul Sherwin-like climber. I do have lots of torque and acceleration though, I think that's my main talent. I like to think I would have been a good track rider, but never got the opportunity to try one out. Tried a few criteriums, but there was just too much pain involved compared to the enjoyment for me, track racing probably would have been the same.