Old 03-12-16, 06:02 AM
Lil Bear

Bikes: '02 Kona Lava Dome, '15 Origami Crane8... the rest are top secret :)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tandempower
The amount of commerce fostered by ubiquitous automotive transportation is higher than when large portions of populations live car-free, which means there's always going to be economic dependency on the automotive economy as long as it exists. It's the same with any economy where larger sums of money change hands. E.g. if you live in a city where people spend more and shop more on one side of town than the other, more jobs and income opportunities are going to be available on that side of town than on the side with less spending.

It is basically like inflation and currency-value differentiation. Imagine you travel to a European area where commerce in art and culture create a large volume of economic trade, spending, and income. There, people are dependent on maintaining that level of cultural commerce to protect their jobs, maintain property-values and other prices, boost wage-levels, etc.. If the culture industry suddenly disappeared, many restaurants, hotels, and other businesses dependent on the money would either have to find new sources of income or shut down. In automotive economies, automotive commerce serves the same function as art and culture in the previous example, so people are economically dependent on it.

Anywhere in the world that is car-free is thus going to be dependent on the rest of the global economy to provide it with income to be spent on imports. Unless the area is completely economically independent and requires no imports whatsoever, there is dependency, and since the global automotive sector is a big part of what keeps money flowing in the global economy, there is dependency on that sector.
I was reading this thread, but could not get past your post. I'm not sure you understand commerce. I am sure you understand fascism. Hypothetically, If i have a piece of art that you want, and you must walk to my store after crossing a sea, hiring a caravan, moving overland for days, then arriving at the gates of my town, Hypothecres, to see that you must walk in, is my art worth less than if you drove there in a car? The locals won't buy it.. they're trading garlic for potatoes, or heroin... whatever. Your whole post is based on people needing something they don't have. Europe survived for 1500 years before they had black pepper. Having a parking lot, or even a parking spot, doesn't improve commerce. At best it guarantees a less unique experience, followed by a purchase of something made in Taiwan. If you're in Taiwan, then that's a local product, so... long story short, I disagree.