View Single Post
Old 03-04-19, 05:57 PM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Wheels came in today, and perfect timing too! An emergency stop to avoid hitting an off leash dog on the MUP killed the rear tire on my alloys.

In my haste to get them mounted, I did not get weights on my scale, so I'll just have to trust the LB scale. The 25mm GP5000s measured 27.1 at 85psi, and the rims measure just a hair over 28mm. Slightly violates the 105% rule, but it's close enough that I'm not gonna worry about it and will keep the 25 up front. I went with 85/95psi, I've been running 95/110 on my 23mm GP4Ks. They rode great, might bump the rear to 100, felt a lil bouncy, but maybe that's just how it is with wider tires?

First ride report, did my usual 30 mile route, handling and comfort are definitely improved!! There's one road with really rough pavement that makes the internal cables rattle, it felt smooth with no rattling! Also a section of MUP that I hit on this route that has a bunch of ripples from tree roots growing under it, they'll rattle your fillings out if you hit it too fast, still bouncy, but much more comfortable.

It was pretty windy, so also a good test of cross wind handling, which was great. They actually handle better in the wind than my alloys. I read a post from Hambini in another thread talking about how when your tire is wider than the rim, the air detaches earlier and makes more turbulence, which actually makes the hit from the crosswinds worse, and I absolutely believe it now. When the wind would hit my other wheels (25mm tire/21mm rim) it would jerk the handle bars. Now when the wind hits, it's more of a soft push than a quick jerk, much more manageable.

Didn't really get to test speed, because my legs are shot from a trail race this past weekend. But there's one hill on this route with a curve at the bottom, that I consistently max out at 46mph on (if it's not windy), I wasn't able to get my normal push going into the hill, but still hit 46mph. More importantly tho, that curve at the bottom, on my other wheels I feel like I'm right on the edge of control taking that curve at full speed, but today I felt fully planted and in control. Looking forward to taking that hill when my legs are fresh and there isn't a 15mph headwind.

Braking is great with the Swissstop Black Prince pads, had no issues and feel like they brake just as well as my alloy wheels (it's dry out today fyi). Overal fit and finish is perfect, couldn't find a single flaw anywhere. I could not be happier with my purchase.

Likes For Rides4Beer: