View Single Post
Old 08-05-19, 12:54 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
IKR. This is especially true in the larger cities in the country. I live in Philly. Couldn't begin to count the number of times I have been in shops and seen people come in with flats. Sometimes its busy college student who doesn't have the time to watch videos on bike repair. Sometimes it's gramps who went for a ride on the trail and now needs to get back to his car. Shoot! Even I did one time not all that long ago. Ran a quick errand on a blazingly hot, humid summer afternoon. Maybe 2 miles from my house. IIRC, my saddle bag was in my car a few blocks away in the wrong direction. Didn't feel like stopping to pick it up. What could possibly go wrong in 4 miles with beefy tires? Half a block from my destination I flatted. No way was I walking home in the heat and humidity with almost no shade. Started looking for a cab and then remembered there was a LBS about 2 blocks away. Turned out to be a good thing. Rim tape was shot, which is what caused the flat. Had them replace that too while I took advantage of free A.C.
Last time I had an LBS fix a flat, it was because a chunk had blown out of the side of the actual tire about 35 miles from home. Even then I managed to rig a tube inside it to ride it to the nearest store to buy a tire (actually second nearest, first didn't have the right size. I just didn't trust that I wouldn't blow out again with the busted tire over that distance home.