View Single Post
Old 02-28-19, 05:41 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
Originally Posted by crank_addict
Thank you kindly~ Certainly these French machines are an acquired taste, and I'm wanting more! Nothing bad about the Weinmann brakes w/ Kool Stops but will swap out if the right pair of CLB or Mafac / Spidel sidepull appear.

Recently rode a chilly, sloppy wet and snow 22 mile loop with warm-up rest stop at a bike shop. Biz is quiet so the young employee there had time to burn looking over this bike. Funny commentary and how surprised he was for its light weight and calling it an old "poo--jet".

Anyways, the hubs are not original to the bike but acquired NOS plus the freewheel package depicted below. I'm learning as I go and not fully up on Maillard offerings. According to Velobase the 700 pro hubs were introduced in '73 and carried thru mid '80s. Notation of plastic dust shield as early and metal being later. Lovely spin!

This model was for US market with N suffix, came with slug clinchers -Weinmann 700c concave, DOT reflectors, etc.. Boxed all of it and now setting it up to my French desires.

-----

Thanks for the response!

Learned from a post by Chas some months back that the 700 was made for Maillard by Etablissements Perrin (Pelissier).

[one of the notes in the VB listing is from me.]

Last edited by juvela; 03-01-19 at 02:08 PM. Reason: addition