Old 05-22-19, 12:12 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7351 Post(s)
Liked 2,477 Times in 1,439 Posts
I use the Nite Ize brand spoke lights. I've received compliments on them. They are very noticeable, and they achieve that while emitting a small amount of light and consuming a small amount of power. Yes, they go on and off easily, but even here in NYC where bike cannibalism is bad, no one steals them off my bike when I lock it up outside. It's a risk worth taking, for me, anyway. They are supposed to use two 2016 cells (20mm wide and 1.6mm thick) but I find they can work with a 2032 cell. The 2032 cell, of course, provides half the voltage but lasts twice as long.

You can find these cells very cheap on eBay, but don't go too cheap. If you buy too many, they may go stale. I like to buy them five or ten at a time.

I use a spoke light in my rear wheel only because having one in my front wheel is too distracting for me. Maybe I should learn to tolerate one in the front, to enhance my safety.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.