Old 07-19-19, 01:40 PM
montclairbobbyb 
Recovering Bikeaholic

Bikes: 84 Specialized Expedtion, 85 StumpJumper, 85 Schwinn Cimarron, 2019 VO Polyvalent, 2007 Niner MCR, 2008 Niner SIR

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 47 Posts
Nicely articulated...

... in an older article written by Chris Smith, entitled "Why It's Time To Legalize Steroids In Professional Sports", (sorry, I don't yet qualify to post links, please Google it, it's a good article)... he at least expressed (better than I) the case for legalizing PEDs... which like my original point centers around WHERE we draw the line. Alcohol was once illegal in America (for good reason), but ultimately the lines were redrawn, and today it's not only acceptable in our culture, it's encouraged, despite its proven negative health and societal impacts.

As for the argument that legalizing PEDs will 'force others' to take them to compete, I agree it presents athletes with a new choice and perhaps a new risk. Competing doesn't always have to mean winning and competitors make choices as to how far they're willing to go... but if winning is all that matters, then this becomes another risk/benefit choice that competitive athletes may have to make (in highly risky sports where the bar is constantly being raised). Just as some may choose NOT to tuck at 60 mph down a twisty mountain road (and likely forego a chance of winning a big race stage) that's the essence of sports and competition.

But as Smith points out, legalizing can have some positives, like eliminating the mystery around virtually every super athlete who has won anything ("is he or she clean?"), and for those stripped of their lofty accomplishments, restoring at least some (deserved) level of credit to these athletes who DID perform at a very high level, despite crossing over "the line" that was established at the time.

Christian Vande Velde admitted to doping, and I'd say he's been warmly embraced by TdF fans... Lance may have been much more audacious, brash and dishonest (character flaws, yes), but I say at least give him credit for the GOOD that he brought to cycling, like legions of new fans (and also let's not forget LiveStrong)...

I will now go back to lurking for classic steel touring bike discussions... I love the debate; this is a GREAT GROUP of thoughtful cyclists... THANK YOU!! BB