Old 10-21-19, 02:13 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I may have changed my mind about recommending White Lightning Easy Lube, last week.

It seemed good at first. Quiet, smooth running. I applied it every two or three rides per the directions.

Over the weekend I replaced the wheelset on one road bike to try some semi-aero rims, rather than my usual old school low profile 32 spoke wheels. I'd used the front aero wheel only before and it seemed fine.

On the first ride something felt wrong... sluggish. After I got home I checked the rear wheel and the freehub felt sluggish. Just to troubleshoot I squirted in some penetrating fluid/lube. It loosened up the freehub so I know it needs to be overhauled. But I decided to ride it as-is over the weekend. The hub itself is a rebadged DT Swiss, good hub with sealed cartridge bearing, felt like it spun okay. Just the freehub felt gummy at first.

But on the second ride everything still felt sluggish. Like I was pedaling in goo.

I had planned to swap from a short cage to long cage rear derailleur to accommodate a larger cassette, so I swapped chains as well. First thing I noticed was a thick layer of waxy gunk all over the cassette and between the chain link plates. I had to scrape off most of it, then used solvent on the rest, flossing the cassette and brushing the chain links.

Apparently the White Lightning Easy Lube doesn't work quite the same way as melted paraffin or Boeshield T9. It appears to be paraffin in naptha, a little different from Boeshield T9. I'm not sure what solvent Boeshield uses but it doesn't smell like naptha. On the fingers both evaporate and leave a waxy film, but the Easy Lube film feels a bit tacky while the Boeshield feels dry. Boeshield left a bit of grime on the chain but no buildup. With melted paraffin any excess flakes off quickly, leaving no tacky residue to attract road grime.

Switching to a new chain and clean cassette fixed the "pedaling in sludge" feeling.

Based on that, I can't recommend White Lightning Easy Lube as a quickie substitute for melted paraffin, or even Boeshield T9. It's not much cleaner than wet lubes like Park CL-1, and doesn't last as long per application.

However I will admit I didn't apply either the Easy Lube or T9 precisely as directed. Both recommend allowing plenty of time for the lubes to dry -- basically, for the solvents to evaporate -- before riding. I don't do that. I apply it, spin the chain and ride. So the un-evaporated solvent is picking up road grime.

Next time I'll follow instructions, but remove the chain from the bike, apply the lube, let it dry overnight, then try again. However that's no easier than the melted paraffin in a crock pot method. If I can't just drizzle the Boeshield T9 or White Lightning Easy Lube directly onto the chain, there isn't much advantage over wet lubes. And the video for Easy Lube demonstrates drizzling the lube directly onto the chain as it passes over the cassette/freewheel. This is why so much of the tacky wax buildup created a sticky mess between the cogs within only a couple of weeks.