View Single Post
Old 07-04-20, 07:53 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,878 Times in 2,315 Posts
I think this photo shows how overengineered "traditional" steel frame building is. In this use of that term I am meaning how well designed to handle less then perfect fabrication. I today's world of less is more (gears, ders, weight, suppleness and more) this type of less then perfect construction would very well lead to a failure, hence the now common less then lifetime frame warranty offered by most brands.

So some here might see this dropout cut away as an example of poor brazing I choose to see it as why we build with what we do.

I agree with Canaboo- The many dropouts I've brazed then cut up rarely have perfect flow and fill but none have failed. The only personal drop out failure I've experienced was on an early 1970s Fuji Finest. The front drop out fractured through, between the slop and the blade's end, With my current knowledge I feel this was likely from a combo of too much heat (perhaps in trying to get complete fill), too much clean up material removal and the chroming. Andy