View Single Post
Old 09-29-20, 06:19 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Ask your prescriber if you are a candidate for one of the newer oral agents. If their answer is "I don't know" then ask for a heme consult to find out. They are not for everyone, but many patients can switch over from older injectables or rat poison to an oral medicine.
Cheers, datlas. You'd know much better than me, but my haematologist and neurosurgeon collaborated on this decision: the reason for the daily low-dose Fragmin is its short 'life' (does that make sense?). I was told that both the traditional and the newer oral regimes stay active for too long. They can be 'reversed', but there might not be time for that should I have another significant SDH, for which I apparently am at high risk. I was fortunate last time -- 7mm or so brain shift off midline didn't result in a stroke or something before they were able to do the surgery.

So their consensus: baby aspirin not quite enough (haematologist), so low-dose Fragmin it is. I've learnt to live with the injections pretty well. Be nice to get off it, though!