Old 09-23-18, 10:25 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by spartanKid
Technically all riders must be at least a track cat3 (collegiate A equivalent) to race the bunch races at collegiate track nationals. It has always been a problem that there will be collegiate rider who have achieved their "A" upgrade because the collegiate upgrade coordinator for a region or a state is not necessarily the same as the normal upgrade coordinator, and may be more flexible with upgrades based on the recommendation from a coach or velodrome employee.
Actually, there doesn't seem to be a CAT3 requirement. Just a Collegiate Category A, which as you mention, is easy to get.

The official eligibility requirements are slim:

7I8. Track National Championships.
(a) Track Championship Eligibility.
For all track events, riders shall meet the following eligibility standards, in addition to those standards already put forth:

(i) Riders must produce documented evidence of completion of at least two track events that season to compete in mass-start event (a track event in this case is defined as one day of racing).

(ii) Riders participating in events not classified as mass start must produce documented evidence of completion of at least one track event that season (a track event in this case is defined as one day of racing).

(iii) For mass-start races riders must be a collegiate track category A.

(iv) Additionally, if a rider’s conference holds a track season, the conference director may require participation in that season for riders to qualify for the national championships.
also, the phrase "... in addition to those standards already put forth" doesn't refer to any CAT3 requirements for Collegiate. Only Juniors 17/18, Elites, and Masters up to age 54. Oddly there is no CAT3 requirement for 55+ Masters mass start racing. That's news to me.

Source: Chapter 7 of the USA Cycling Rule Book