Old 07-15-19, 11:53 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat
I was just funning you a bit. But I did find your OP interesting because I read about how superior titanium frames are all the time. I don't believe it, but I do read these claims quite often. And honestly, I'm keeping an open mind on the subject. One reason I doubt the claims is that you'll often see a titanium bicycle paired with a crabon fork. If titanium is so darned superior, why wouldn't these bikes also have a titanium fork?

I hear about how comfortable titanium bikes are. I'd love to believe that because my old body has lots of aches and pains. If I really thought a titanium bike would allow me to ride further or even the same distance with less pain, I think I'd be all over it.

I also like the idea that if I get a scratch on the frame, I stand some chance of cleaning it up so that it looks decent again. That's not happening on my crabon frames. My Diverge has quite a few battle scars.

My take away from this thread is that titanium is not magical. Or if it is, in this case it's less magical than a crabon frame with disc brakes. At least for one titanium proponent.

-Matt
Probably cost: it would probably be cost inefficient to design and make a Ti fork that would look right on a modern bike. Carbon fork would be much cheaper. Just look how expensive some Ti seatposts are as options.