View Single Post
Old 07-31-19, 06:48 AM
JoeKahno

Bikes: Bridgestone Albelt with a second Bridgestone chain drive as a backup

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
I started riding again in 2010. I had moved to California and discovered that older white guys driving cheap clunkers were the only demographic the police still felt comfortable harassing. I scrapped my car and picked up a cheap POS mountain bike at a swap meet. I didn't have much interest in biking. I just had even less interest in walking.

I don't want to get overly dramatic but it probably saved my life. Until I got off my butt and started moving again I didn't realize how much my mobility was impaired by simple neglect and lack of exercise. I've since moved to the Philippines. Infrastructure here really isn't up to the load the local population is trying to put on it. Traffic seems to have gone directly from everybody walks to everybody owns a car or motorcycle. As a result, if you actually want to get somewhere in a hurry you need to ride a bicycle.

The limiting factor for me isn't the riding. I'm good for about two hours under tropical sun before I have a mild burn, enough to deepen my tan, not enough to blister or peel. My eyes are getting bad enough I don't willingly ride at night. I blew out my left knee about eight years ago. It healed, it doesn't hurt and has full range of motion but it also has the sensation joints get that tells you over stressing them would be a *really* bad idea. I picked up a shattered pelvis in a motorcycle wreck back in '85. Again, it's not something that has a large impact on my daily life but what I sit on and my posture is something I have to be aware of. High stress riding positions and "performance" saddles just ain't happening for me.

So, with all that as background and speaking strictly from my own personal experience, any ride at all is a "good ride". Today I did around 30km. There have been at least three other times in the last ten days when I did that much. Some days I did 5km or less. I don't keep a log so I can't tell for certain but if I had to give my best guess on a daily average it would be somewhere around 15-18km roughly 10-12 miles.