Old 08-25-19, 06:27 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
This came up in another similar discussion, but there are all kinds of "saddle sores". Bruises or aching of the sit bones or perineum, or penile numbness or labia swelling and pain, which may be a saddle or bike fit issue. Broken skin with risk of bacterial infection. Rashes from heat, fungi or viruses.

I seem to have my bike fit and saddles dialed in, so no real problems with soreness from saddle pressure. Occasionally I'll stand to pedal during longer rides.

Good shorts help too. Best pad I've found is the orange 3D pad in the cheap Przewalski shorts on Amazon, for $15-$30. The shorts are good, very basic, but the pads are outstanding. Never seen anything like it in other brands. Thick, dense and resilient, with a smooth surface. Yet it wicks moisture better than any other pad I've tried. Never feels like I'm sitting in a soggy diaper. The shorts I have from Pearl Izumi, Aero Tech and Black Bibs are okay but not as good.

I had a pesky itchy rash this year for the first time ever. I figured it was probably an extension of a longtime problem with psoriatic arthritis and psoriasis, since the skin outbreaks that usually occur on my hands and scalp could just as easily pop up elsewhere. But I also had athletes foot as a kid in school and that fungus never really gets cured and can pop up elsewhere years later. I don't think I've ever had problems with herpes zoster cold sores or shingles, but my mom did.

Anyway, I just used a combination of zinc oxide/diphenhydramine cream to sooth the itching, a hemorrhoid cream that contains glycerin, pramoxine (local anesthetic) and phenylephrine (reduces swelling), another ointment with miconazole for fungus, and Lidex, a potent steroid that must be used very sparingly and carefully to avoid defatting the subcutaneous tissue and thinning the skin. Took a couple of weeks, and lots of hot soaks in a bath with Epsom salts, but it cleared up.